Rob Law Max Recruitment
ClubRugby Home National Story
Auckland Auckland Canterbury Hawke's Bay North Harbour Taranaki Wellington

New Zealand club rugby round-up 5 August

Club Rugby | 06 August 2017 | Steven White

New Zealand club rugby round-up 5 August

For Heartland Championship union results read here

There were two major finals around New Zealand yesterday, both in the Hurricanes heartland. In Hawke’s Bay, Napier Old Boys Marist won the Maddison Trophy and in Wellington Old Boys University captured the Jubilee Cup.

Attention now turns to the Men’s NPC, Women’s NPC and Heartland Championship competitions that kick off later this month. Visit Draws & Results across the top of this page to follow these competitions.

To follow the concluding stages of the First XV competitions around New Zealand, type into your browser.

Hawke’s Bay: Napier Old Boys Marist (31) – Clive (26)

The number 34 has a nice ring to it.

Napier Old Boys Marist will head into this summer with both the Nash Cup and Maddison Trophy safely in their trophy cabinet, and with a winning streak that now stands at 34.

In their two previous games this year, NOBM had beaten Clive 55-19 and 54-5. In total, NOBM finished their season with 1047 points for and 221 against.

But, as is fitting in final, their final match of the year was their closest. Clive, who had finished sixth of 10 teams in the first round and were the third ranked semi-final qualifier, pushed them all the way in the McLean Park decider.

In a tight and willing final, NOBM led 17-14 at halftime and kept their noses in front to win five tries to four.

Wellington: Old Boys University (32) – Hutt Old Boys Marist (19)

Their previous two meetings in 2017 had seen the teams separated by just 4 points in total. Despite a sunny, calm day, a real dogfight was expected.

OBU, the 2015 Jubilee Cup winners, became the first team since Tawa in 2013 to win the Swindale Shield, Andy Leslie Trophy and Jubilee Cup treble in one season.

The students led from start to finish, despite being reduced to 14 men shortly before halftime and being forced to combat waves of Hutt Old Boys Marist attack.

OBU led 24-14 at halftime, a key moment coming in this period before the break when they broke out from their own line to score a 95 metre runaway try.

HOBM closed to within five points early in the second half and again had their chances to draw level but were unable to take them. Instead, OBU seized the moment and pulled clear with a penalty and then a second long-range try.

© 2005-2017 Club Rugby | About | Contact | Coach Login